Ron Johnson Pushes Real Solutions to Keep Our Country Safe
Uses chairmanship of Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs to deal with ISIS, Iran, other threats
The Ron Johnson campaign today released the following statement on how Ron is using his chairmanship of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs to deal with threats facing our country, including ISIS:
“The people of Wisconsin deserve leaders who offer real solutions to keep our country safe, not just put on a show,” said campaign spokesman Brian Reisinger. “From pushing for a comprehensive strategy to destroy ISIS to fighting the reckless Iran deal to looking for ways to keep acts of terror off of American soil, there is no shortage of examples of Ron Johnson offering the kind of leadership it takes to protect our national security.”
- ISIS: Ron led in calling for a comprehensive strategy to destroy ISIS, including the United States assembling a coalition of international allies – similar to the successful strategy of President George H.W. Bush in the first Gulf War – to invade ISIS territory.
- Syrian Refugees: Ron offered the top proposal in the U.S. Senate to deal with the flow of Syrian refugees. His legislation would require that the federal government certify that Syrian refugees have been fully vetted before they’re allowed to enter the United States.
- Iran: Ron not only voted against the president’s reckless deal with Iran – he fought for it to be considered as a U.S. treaty. He also filed a resolution charging that the Obama administration hadn’t even really allowed for a legally required congressional review because it hadn’t submitted information called for under the law.
- Border Security: Ron is using the power of his committee to push the federal government to secure the border – an issue that is even more important in the wake of the recent terrorist attacks abroad. This includes a recent field hearing in Arizona, the release of a report detailing solutions to the problem, and a fact-finding trip to Central America.
- Cyber Security: Ron helped pass legislation to deal with the threat of cyber attacks, and used his committee to examine how ISIS uses social media to encourage terrorist activity all across the globe.